Show reviews that mention
home clayton house mobile home homes people money mobile homes water problems
Filter review

Unprofessional and inconsiderate.

My house received a call about 9 am this morning, and on the caller ID it said "Clayton Homes." Not knowing anything about the company, and never dealing with them, my Dad answered the phone. That's when the trouble started. My dad answered and was greeted by a man yelling asking to speak with a man we have never heard of. My dad calmly stated "There's no man hear by that name, so if you would please take my number out of your system" and the man responded with "I know it's you! We need to have a talk." This is when my dad simply responded "Listen, I don't know who you are, or who the person is you're asking for." The man simply just kept saying "I know it's you!" and "This is the number listed!" and my dad calmly kept saying "Well someone put down a wrong number, and I'd appreciate it if you removed my number. If you keep threatening me, and harassing me, I will get the law involved and you will realize I'm not the man you are looking for." The man continued to be a *** and yell at my dad, when my dad simply said if he called again, he will contact the law, and this man will not have a job anymore. Oh, and that he'd kick his butt for waking his family up so early before confirming this was really the number he needed to call. This company should realize who they are calling, and confirm that numbers they receive are valid numbers. If they aren't right numbers, they should not harass and threaten innocent people that have nothing to do with who they are trying to contact. I have no idea what their service is like, but if it's anything like what my dad experienced today, I'd say they are not professional, and rude. I will make a note to never do any business with this company. Sad thing for them, I never heard of them before. I already hate them.

It is a good example of the idiots you are dealing with when involved with that company. I do think this post has merit and belongs on this site.

We are considering buying a Clayton Home, and based of other reviews, I would say that your complaint falls right in. If there's mold, signature forging, bad roofs, ect.

I think I'd want to know about harrassing phone calls too. Seems worse that your not even a "consumer". So, I just wanted to say I disagreed with the other comment. Thanks for your experience with Clayton.

I should also mention that even though we are not a "consumer" because we havent bought our home yet, we have still seen unprofessional and inconsiderate behavior from Clayton representatives. The more you know, the better.

This doesn't belong as a complaint on this site. You are not a "consumer" of Clayton Home's products.

Yes, maybe the guy was an ***, but it was just a phone call that seems to be really over blown. It's simple...hang up the phone!

Arden, North Carolina

As long as they get there money.

All I wanted was the american dream, a home for me & my children. I have had my home for a very short 8yrs. I can not believe how poorly this home was constructed. I have had to put on a new roof. The kitchen sink is so bad that there is mold under it. Every closet has fell. The toilets get stopped up 1-2 times per week. The mold in my home is so bad that it has made my asthma so bad that I am no longer able to work. No one would buy this home. I don't want to be homeless. Take my advise, I am only 51, I do not feel as if I am a dumb person. I got taken. Do not buy a home from this company, unless you are able to do all your own repairs. Money pit comes to mind. Thank you

I am going through a problem like yours and wish someone would do a lawsuit cause they get away with this.i have no money to repair the roof. :?

What brand and model of home did you purchase?

Wentzville, Missouri
Clayton Homes - *** constrution and no responce to said
Clayton Homes - *** constrution and no responce to said
have had a leak problem with our clayton home since we moved in,may 1st 2008, have talked to the mngr. fo the trl. complex; she has called clayton several times about the problem with very little results, the water leak is in the dinning room window, in the very edge,...

I live in a 16 year old mobile home (bucaneer) that is in near-perfect condition. It baffles me that you let this sit there and leak until it started to stain.

Regardless of if they are at fault. How hard it is to get a cocking gun and seal a window to prevent further damage. It's obvious you did absolutely nothing to prevent further damage.

If you don't care about it, why should they? Sure, Clayton is *** but reading these reviews I see time and time again people letting there cardboard box be destroyed by water when they could of fixed/prevented it in less than 30 minutes by watching a simple instruction video on YouTube.

Hixson, Tennessee

Playing there game

Clayton homes dealerships contractors destroyed a private road to my property and paid for it out of my loan without my knowing after they agreed to pay for it. I ended up with a lot model instead of a brand new house. Once i found out it has been *** since, Vanderbuilt mortgage has been rude and nasty from day one when i informed them that they paid for paving that wasnt on my property, but they dont care. Miss Janie Boling or miss wilson (depends on who she wants to be) informed me that i signed payment deferrals and that i owe for insurance for those months in which i have found out that 5 payments have been deferred at the beginning of the loan. i requested copies of these documents and she refused to send them. Next it was time to renew the insurance and i never received a thing from vandi or the insurance company and now the money that janie said i owed them is now being called an increase in home owners insurance. I have retained an attorney and vanderbilt refuses to send any copies that i signed to him or me, but we did recieve copies from clayton homes which showed forged signatures of documents. Vanderbilt informed my attorney that we would have to get a subpena to get that information and he informed them that it would require a lawsuit also. if anybody lives in or around Western North Carolina, Asheville area let me know so we can file a class action law suit. Do not deal with Vanderbilt mortgage period, they do not care about the customer period, all they care about is feeding you false information in hopes to foreclose on your home and land and that is the goal of vanderbilt mortgage

Hi Vandi, Welcome to being a victim of the Clayton Homes Scam. Vanderbuilt gets a bunch of money and all we get is a broken down piece of ***.

I am so interested in a class action. Contact me at sassysandic@***.com

wow this makes me sick. I want to buy a mobile home but now I am scared to death to do so after reading all the bad things being said about Clayton and Vanderbelt. Where can I buy a good built home and not get ripped off?????????

All I can say is Wow. This is not the headache for me. Thank God for online reviews

Greenville, South Carolina

False advertisment

I tried to buy a home at the Clayton Homes Greer SC location this past August. I have a foreclosure from a previous marriage on my credit that can not be removed until 2014. I was told by one of the Clayton reps that all I needed to do was provide the divorce decree stating that I was not held responsible for the debt and if I had property that would be my credit. I provided the divorce decree and bought land, still no home. Rep. stated I did not need to pay off the land we would do a "land/home package".There is also a sign up at the location in Greer that states “Your Land is your Credit”. When I would not purchase the cheaper home that the rep. wanted me to buy I could not get financing then. I spoke with a rep. todat that told me that the land had to paid in full before i could use it as collateral. This is false advertisment and very misleading. I wil be contacting my local news, news paper & Better Business Bureau.

If you have a foreclosure on your credit report, I would look into renting something. Why would a bank want to take a risk on someone who has already let a home go into foreclosure. Very simple actually.

Submitted May 2010.

Made a deposit on a 32' X 64' Riverland "floor model" home, spent 3 months looking for a suitable site, negotiated and made an acceptable offer on the land with deposit, was approved for mortgage financing with rates acceptable to me.

This is a 2008 model, fully furnished that we were told they were "looking to move because a newer show model was coming". List was 129,900. Sale price was 99,900. The lot is already cleared, has city water and adjacent elec, culvert and driveway already in, needs to have septic (modad) installed and a pad.

All-in all, with the reduction in price of the home and the lot 75% ready, and financing on board, this would have appeared to be a done deal.

Now, Andy and Matt (the finance person and the manager) tell us the total package won't meet appraisal!

HUH? They tried to tell me the square footage vs the number of bedrooms (1920sq ft, 3bdrm, 2bath) was messing up the appraisal. BUL**HIT!

I have considerable time, money, and effort invested in this transaction only to be told at the very end that it wasn't going to meet the appraisal criteria.

They attempted to get me into a plain jane unit that was nothing like the floor model.

This is the epitome of a bad faith deal. They had no intention of selling me the unit I put a deposit on. I'd been to the dealership 4 or 5 times throughout all this searching and financing and it wasn't till I was approved for financing that this "failure to meet appraisal" stuff came up.

Looking for a real estate attorney

#120485

you can't blame clayton homes for your financing that is done through banks your credit is your problem. sounds to me like the sales rep. was trying to take a risk and help you trying to get you approved and it didn't work!!!!!!!!!!!

Could you please tell me who the rep was that you dealt with. We're in the process of buying and some of your story is very familiar to me. Thanks in advance!

View more comments (3)
Lexington, South Carolina
Update....we spoke to two different local lawyers and they said we had a right to battle this but after their research both told us that it would be a long battle. Clayton is known as a drag their feet company. More money wasted then worth..We are still getting the...

I am in the middle of leasing one of Claytons Homes in Wilmer Tx the model single wide I was shown was awesome however after reading all the negative comments I don't want to be trapped into something that will affect my credit in the long run. I am not buying on leasing. Please advise if I should demand more in writing regarding the lease.

Washington, District Of Columbia

Ripped me off

if you find a lawyer let me know clayton needs to be shut down they are liars and crooks their crews have no skills and their head office is no better CLASS ACTION is the saying of the day!!!contact me and lets work as a group (if a lawyer will take the case) my house burned down thought it would be quicker to go with a double wide( it sure isnt cheaper)now i have a lemon 15000 cash and my land worth30000 is what i put down on a 60000 house and istill owe them 60000 for a house i couldnt get what i owe for it if you want to work for clayton all you prob need to do is go rob a bunch of people that are struggling and iam sure you will be a CEO in no time hard to belive are goverment lets companies get away with this its time to make clayton homes suffer as a business instead of us the home owners

I live in Louisiana and I have one of their homes as well and I'm about to get a lawyer for the walls that I have. I too have carboard walls and live where the humidity and hurricanes occur.

I was told it was a zone 3 home and I live in zone 2.

When my wall fell learned it was cardboard and took it to a carpenter LLC I may add. He told me this is not an zone 3 home or 2 and its junk.

I work in service for clayton and I talk to and deal with people who blame us for their personal ill informed decisions every day... I make 10 bucks an hour and get cussed at all day....

heres a hint people. A mobile or modular home is not an investment its meant to be cheap housing it sells fo a fourth as much per square foot as a real house you get what you pay for.

its a trailor not a house. If you wanted something that was gonna last forever and retain value you shoulda bought a house.

@PissedConsumer355302

Yes I agree with you on that statement but what happen to a little quality All I see is quanity slap them together and send them down the line a lot of people can't afford a house so *** take advantage of the poor people and build them with cardboard and foam walls what ever happen to wood you know you can use wood to build a mobile home to besides they don't exactly give CLAYTON mobile homes away it's ***....

#197953

All due respect Matthew. I used to sell for CMH, and Norris was my favorite manufacturer, because of the quality.

BUT Tiffany's complaints are still valid. Spend just one day at a Sales Center, and you will see a different world. Bop on down to one of the home shows in Knoxville, and check out some of the other manufacturers "quality" product. AND, my dear, home sales and mortgages go hand in hand, and guess who arranges these?

THE SAME LAIRS THAT SELL THESE POOR PEOPLE THEIR *** HOMES. The corporate office, mangers, manufacturers, employees and contracted help really could care less. But then, buying a manufactured home is like buying a cheap car.

You can't expect a steak when you showed up with enough to buy a hamburger. HOWEVER - Clayton is an excellent choice for someone who doesn't have much money and don't mind living in a dump.

#194239

Glad I found this and other complaint sites about Clayton Homes. We were ready to plop down $200k for a house and property in Alabama, but now, well, maybe we'll go for a stick-built.

@PissedConsumer194239

You can build a home out of mud and sticks and have the same quality very poor home CHEAP,CHEAP,,NO QUALITY I REGRET MY 6 MONTH OLD CLAYTON,,,,,,,,,,

:) First off, i do not consider myself a crook. Second Claytons is the number one seller of manufactured housing for a reason ***.

Because of quality and service after the sale. Im an electrician for the norris clinton plant, we have twice the regulations and codes that a residential house has. being an electrician is no easy job. its twice as hard in manufactured housing.

we have crews who stay gone all week out doing service and making things right. if we forget to secure a wire more than three times we get shutdown for a week while an independent company comes in to inspect our work. we have state workers who's sole job is to walk around and pick these houses apart for errors. in short take a damned economics class.

learn how finance and accounting works and blame your bad credit for your terrible interest rate and stop blaming others wrongfully for you bad decisions. your loose words affect allot of honest hard working peoples jobs. when peaple hear you *** about clayton homes but dont realize your a *** when it comes to your money and credit and the realization that ecconomy sucked when you bought the home. they shy away from a great product.

YOUR ENTIRE BITCHFEST ABOUT CLAYTONS DID NOT INCLUDE ONE THING ABOUT THE PRODUCT, BUT THE FINANCE!!!! SHUT THE *** UP

#581973
@PissedConsumer168031

Your rude and hateful post tells me a lot about Clayton as a company. "we have crews who stay gone all week out doing service and making things right." This would be because of poor quality control at the factory and doubled by the fact that there must be no final inspection. "we have state workers who's sole job is to walk around and pick these houses apart for errors." Obviously you are pretty good at hiding the bad work or they aren't doing their job.

As an informed buyer I went out and looked at Clayton homes that were a few years old and what I saw was a far less than a stellar product. One home I looked at had a missing wall stud where the exterior siding meets and it was stuck together with screws with hex heads from the Clayton service people instead of being repaired correctly. The seam wasn't even caulked before it was screwed together.

My advised to anyone considering a Clayton home is to go see and talk to people that are living in one. Use Craigslist to seek out homes in your area if you aren’t bold enough to go door knocking. Avoid looking at the used ones on a lot because the defects are hidden and covered up.

@PissedConsumer168031

you know what I agree with the *** fest and so what if you work on the trashy clayton mobile homes *** POOR manufacturing god I hope ur wiring is better than the rest of the junk they are built with I purchased a new 16x82 and its fu***ng trash buddie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am so glad I read all of the complaints on Clayton Homes. We were in the process of picking out our home and now we won't do it. Thank you everyone.

View more comments (16)
Millington, Tennessee
Loss
We purchased a 2001 single wide home in 2000 from Clayton in Belpre Ohio. We noticed this summer that our roof pitch was not right. The roof in the cathedral ceiling of the LR and KT was sagging. We called the home center where purchased and was told by the manager...

I also have a Clayton home, although it's disguised as a golden west. It was put in brand new in 2007.

A real headache with major repair expenses for roof, subfloor, doors, plumbing, duct work, and now as I'm repairing the moldy ceiling, I see the roof beams are 2x2s. I'm not sure if that even meets the 30lb roofload requirement I paid extra for. And many of these insufficient studs just come to an end in the middle or start of a span. It's insane.

I too, belive I need to speak with an attorney.

This is a farce and I'm bit sure why HUD even allows this. It's like a curse on the working class.

Washington, District Of Columbia

Clayton Home Nightmare

We bought a Clayton Home in Anderson, SC, to be set up in Lincolnton, GA. The closing was December 4, 2007. The home was not placed where we marked on the property with stakes and orange construction tape; subsequently, the porch has an oak tree two feet from the bottom step. The porch we have is not what was ordered. The white brick foundation we ordered was done in red brick. The bricks were laid on Christmas Day so we couldn't call anyone to have them stop. Terms of our agreement was for them to remove two older mobile homes from our property--one is still in place and one is sitting in a dumpster blocking part of our drive-way.

is there anyone who is having problems with the sheetrock interior walls of the clayton homes, orange colored like glue coming out of the walls and i tried to wash it and it won't come off, if anyone is having this problem, please email me and tell me what i can do.

Your funny...

View more comments (1)
Toa Baja, Puerto Rico
Loss
We purchased a home from Clayton Homes in Greensboro, NC in June of 2005. They did nothing but play cat and mouse with us and our home has never been finished to this day. I need a lawyer that will take them to court for what they have done to me and my wife. Our...

We are in Colorado and going through the same thing. They keep blaming the county but my husband works for the county so we know they are lying. What a crap company!!!

Liberty, North Carolina
we brought a home from claton in June of 2007. which our home is new we have noithing but problems with them. our lasted problems are with our windows having MOLD in them, even down to the 2 x4 in the window seals. they have no problem telling me that mold will not...

We were lied to by the salesman, sales manager AND the factory about every aspect in the puchase of this Clayton home. We need to refinance this house because we just lost 1/3 of our income, but Clayton placed us in a loan that's impossible to refinance! Shame, shame, Clayton, for cheating us!!!

Columbia, South Carolina

Contacted In Laws

My father in law is the one who has a mortgage with this company but they have been calling my husband and I looking for him. My father in law is retired and stays at home.Now they have called my parents looking for my father in law whom they have only met one time. They claimed that they were used as references.We are still trying to figure out how they got our number and how in the world could they possibly gotten my parents phone number. They are crooked and i will be contacting the BBB about them

Any mortgage application wants 2 contacts, usually listed as "2 Nearest Relatives Not Living with You". The purpose of this is if someone goes into default with a loan, they have ways to try and contact the applicant.

Raleigh, North Carolina