July 2018. Clayton Homes - Elizabethton TN branch

My wife and I stopped in to look at this homes because we were looking to downsize going into retirement.

I found a model that we liked and entered into an agreement with a $1,000 down payment. During the process, we were quoted approximate monthly payment of x dollars/month. We found our land and put the deposit on that.

Then we start to hear back from their mortgage lenders (all banks we'd never heard the names of) with monthly mortgage payments that were twice what we were paying now and for 30 years.

When we said we did not like the percentage rates, paying PMI (we were putting more than 20% down) and the monthly payment amount and were backing out, they stopped being nice. They were difficult to deal with from that point on. WE did get our $ 1,000 deposit back but refused to give us a letter to get out land earnest money back and were very rude to my wife in the process. Granted, it was only $500 but that is not the point, It's the shady way they do business. They say one thing and lead you in one direction and get hit from the other.

The back bank, came back with totally incorrect numbers and actually had the land value in the numbers twice. The other bank which had quoted a monthly payment of x dollars came back with a monthly payment of twice the original quote.

Do yourself a favor and avoid a lot of headache in the process and stir clear of Clayton Home. Just my opinion.

Review about: Clayton Homes Customer Care.

I didn't like: Deceptive sales and poor sales-client communication.

Comments