2K views

This is not a good thing to invest in. Customer Service is awful, bought brand new and with less than 1yr all appliances have been worked on more than 5 times.

Had to take several days off work lost $1000.00s work wages waiting service calls then no shows. we bought a lemon they use seconds & refurbish to furnish homes. Customer service kissed butt untill we gave a bad score and now they dodge us won't return calls. Very poor customer service.

I don't advise these homes and services to anyone. Stay away from clayton homes!!!!!!!!!

wendy & eric mcgregor

Comments

Spring, Texas, United States #933541

I have been reading all of these comments and I have to say they are all true. Im one of those people that have to find out for myself.

Well try lie about everything! Tell you one price and turns to to be another. We were quoted one price and at closing they are 40 k over. 40THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

REALLY! We walked away. Save your self some trouble and listen....

Clayton Homes in Splendora,TX are crooks! You've been warned!

Moreno Valley, California, United States #578571

I used to work in a Clayton Homes manufacturing plant out of Perris, CA and I'm not surprised to hear so many complaints about Clayton homes. Working on the line was a nightmare.

We were pushed like *** to get houses done. The quality of the work and final product was secondary to the rate of houses completed. The company would preach about quality being their top priority during meetings, but when the meeting was over and it was time to get back to the speed game. Workers would bring this up to the higher ups, but it fell on deaf ears.

(If i remember correctly.) Independent contractors get the job of installing and servicing these homes. When service complaint come in, customer service doesn't matter. It's just a money game. When those guys come to your houses and take pictures of the problem it's so they can complain to the office for more money.

Then sometimes those make their way back to the worker who gets reprimanded for the lack of quality. Go figure.

We bought a Clayton ehome as a modular and we love it! It is a great house and our local retailer was very honest and up front.

Any money you put down has to be accounted for, and there is NO way they could steal it from you.

There are so many lending laws stemming from the bank failures in the recent past, that consumers are well protected. As with any purchase, look at all your paperwork and be proactive, not a whiner after the fact.

Bought the home new off lot in 2004,4 feet off the ground started getting water at the bottom of my kitchen, living room walls,hmmm .....the very top piece of siding was coming off only because it was glued on nothing else holding it on but glue, had 4 different roof/ciding places come out to tell me Clayton didn't do it right and to only get an insurance check for 1100 dollars and the total was going to be over 5I....now we're dealing with a huge hole in a bedroom in the ceiling which insulation is completely black with mold, still waiting two Weeks for insurance to send us something to fix that which makes our mortgage go up, crock of *** if you ask me, oh and carpets already treating apart at entry into also, almost 58K for a single wide

Its the lots thats the problem not the manufacturer. Call the service at plant directly and you will get issues fixed.

I worked at plant in knoxville tennessee for 5 years. Its the lot thats 99% of problem. They give the run around. The mobile homes are built by state codes and inspected.they do not put furniture in ANY homes.

The lot does. Contact your plant that makes home and issues will get fixed. The lot marks up housea ALOT!!

Bargain them down. Make sure house is OSB wrapper under siding!!!!!

YOU get what you pay for people there is a reason why higher end homes doesnt have these problems!! The next time instead of price shopping how about you look into how these homes are built yourselves and not take the word of a sales rep?!!!!!?

GOOD THINGS ARE SELDOM CHEAP AND CHEAP THINGS ARE SELDOM GOOD

We bought our Clayton home thinking that we could put in on our lot in town. They kept saying no problem.

It was a big problem. You have to sign the papers before they will even order you home. We were stuck with a home we could not use. We had to purchase property somewhere else and then had to take different one because there is not gas on the property.

They did not do the foundation right and our house is coming apart. You cannot even open one of our doors. One of our fireplaces is coming away from the wall. It our cabinets are falling apart.

We have had the dishwasher worked on 3 times. Our carpet we were told by the person who came an fixed it that he could not do it again because the carpet was coming apart.

I do not want anyone to tell me what a good quality of home they make and how great they are. They suck big time and I would really love to SUE!!!!!!!!

Buyers Beware. ask alot of questions.

the only thing they care about is money. when you buy a home it is yours.

also, Clayton does NOT use "seconds and refurbish" to furnish homes. lol I'm not even sure how to respond to something so incorrect.

First of all Clayton does not provide furniture in the homes at all as a general rule. Furniture can sometimes be included as a bonus on a display home purchase. That furniture is new and provided by decorators in most cases when the decorate. Only kitchen appliances are included with most homes and they are BRAND NEW UNDER WARRANTY GE APPLIANCES.

Clayton is not in the "furniture refurbishing" business. Sadly, even if they were it wouldn't matter because CLAYTON DOES NOT SELL FURNITURE.

They sell homes. Plain and simple.

to the truth #813845

Funny, I had new carpet in a home and it was destoryed by mud, dirt and dust by their workers. We agreed to have carpet from elsewhere if we bought it.

They want to take the old carpet and use it in a repo or used home to resale.

The worker from Clayton told me this. no good.

Clayton Homes has a higher customer satisfaction rating than many other large companies. They take customer satisfaction very seriously.

Clayton is also a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway and are therefore held to even higher expectations than ANY other home builder. Oakwood, Clayton, Freedom and LUV homes are all THE SAME company. The few independents left even buy most of their homes from CLAYTON bulders. To address the individual commenters, I'll start with Lynn.

Why would only 5k of 10 be towards pricipal? If your downpayment was ten you should expect 10 to go towards principal balance, right? Maybe some of your money was used for things like permits or construction and you are not telling the entire story. Otherwise thy would be flat out thieves and I assume you filed a police report?

Half truths serve no purpose here. As far as the quality, it is the higher than you could imagine, but just like with any other product, if you abuse, mistreat or fail to care for it, you will develop problems. Its called physics. Now, on to pissed purchaser.

You did not give 5k for nothing. It was a deposit on your home and Clayton never "picks out land for you". They assist you with finding land. You have to agree to it.

It's that simple. If the land did not perk then it is not claytons fault. If there was any money spent from your 5k deposit (which is held in escrow by the way) You may not get expenses from trying to make the land work. It's just common sense.

If you gave five and they spent 1k on permits, perk tests or anything else and then you change your mind..You dont get the 1k back. Again this sounds like another half truth for the purpose of venting online. Last but not least..Amanda. Amanda it seems signed a purchase agreement which means absolutely nothing if you cannot obtain financing.

There are many many reasons that could hold up the move in. Bad credit and working with lenders to get things right so that you could actually BUY the house is my best guess. If all anyone had to do was sign a "purchase agreement" Clayton could multiply it's profits by 1000 and soon afterwards the economy would tank because folks wouldnt pay the mortgage that they didn't deserve to get in the first place. So again..TELL THE WHOLE STORY.

Also 4 months isn't that terrible considering that ICE, RAIN and other bad weather common in winter months can prevent contractors from working. That is natures fault Amanda..NOT CLAYTON HOMES! Anyone considering buying a Clayton, Oakwood or other Clayton company home should visit a home center and learn for themselves that Clayton is an outstanding company that provides the absolute highest quality homes and PRIDES ITSELF on customer satisfaction. They have one of the highest NPS ratings in the country and that is no accident.

Stop taking advice from internet whiners who are under no obligation to be honest with you and visit a home center where they ARE. Have a nice day.

mbeston
to the truth Doniphan, Missouri, United States #922135

You obviously work for Clayton and have never owned or lived in one. I am here to tell you, these complaints are legit.

I am not talking about furniture as that has nothing to do with the quality of the homes. Do you think wrapping electric lines around bathtub plumbing is acceptable with HUD coding? Do you think 24 electrical outlets and fixtures all on one 30 amp breaker is acceptable to HUD coding? Do you think ceiling fans not even installed to the duct work on 3 fans is acceptable to HUD coding?

Do you think siding that is installed so poorly it allows rain to gush in behind the drywall and the main electrical wire is HUD coding acceptable? Do you think leaving trash in the walls and the roof is acceptable to HUD coding? Do you think over 40 staples going through electrical wiring in acceptable to HUD coding? These are just a few issues I have had in my 2000 Pioneer Clayton Home.

I have already spent 14,.700 worth of repairs to my home. I do take care of my home, this is why the repair work has been completed and is now a work in progress as I speak. This amount does not count the range, the hood, the refrigerator nor the stove that had to be replaced because of the electrical defects that shorted the appliances out.

I do not expect this home to be built like a house, however I do expect for it to be safe to live in. Waking up in the night with a room full of smoke and wiring on fire is not what I would call safe and if you were honest you would agree.

Was this Clayton Homes in KS? My husband and I are currently looking and we are suppose to have a meeting with a Nation Bnk Rep, so I was wondering if it was the same location?

Do NOT BUY a Clayton home they are LIERS and will take you for your money. They DO NOT CARE about YOU AS THER CUSTOMER AT ALL.

There homes ARE very POOR QUALITY. They will call you a liar in fRONT of there employees. that is what they did to me. we purchased our home in 2003 special order.

well we put 10,000 and TOLD THEM TO PUT 5000,00 toward the principal but instead PUT IT IN THERE POCKET. Now WE HAVE ( BLACK MOLD IN OUR HOME ) it IS HORRIBLE. AND YOUR RIGHT THEY DO NOT RETURN CALLS. WE ARE VERY PISSED OFF AT THEM.OUR HOME WAS BUILT WITH OUT A DRIP LINE, NEED I SAY ANYMORE?

We have had them come out to repair our home for the last 7 yrs we even had water running through our wall switches and down THE wall.

WE ME AND MY HUSBAND STAY SICK ALL THE TIME BECAUSE OF THE MOLD.this was suppose to be my FIRST NEW HOME.WE WORK HARD FOR OUR MONEY AND HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT BUT A PICE OF *** THEY CALL QUALITY HOMES. (YAH RIGHT) :(

Well me and my husband dedided to look into clayton homes and they made it sound super easy and very quick so we rushed and put down 5500 dollars for nothing we've just got the run around and we asked for our money back because they picked land for us and then turned around and said it wouldnt work !!! Then the general manager Mike Havicon said if my husband wanted to get smart he didnt have to give our money back its been complete nonsense !!!!

Words cannot express how angry I am with Clayton Homes! We signed a purchase agreement on a home that was ON DISPLAY on December 23, 2009.

Today is April 8th and we are still NOT living in the home!

HORRIBLE SERVICE! I do not know how they get away with this!